Saturday, October 16, 2010

My country, one Nation

I was never really interested in our country's history in school because, I never thought I would ever use it and I thought it was boring until.........I had my children. When you have your children it is your responsibility to teach them everything about the world that you can, so the more I would think about how big the world was the more I read. I really had alot of fun learning, I went back to school and found that I loved history, I loved the words that were written when our country began.
I fell head over heels I love our Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, the words were beautiful and really well thought out. How could I not want to share and explain what they meant to my kids let alone to our country. The freedoms that we have, the love and respect our government has for us, have you read it lately? History has even more meaning after I learned that my own Great 9 times grand father Abraham Shaw came to America on the Mayflower (he signed the Mayflower Compact), then settled in Dedham, Massachusetts in 1635, Abraham was an Incorporator of Dedham and signed the town covenant, known as the "Dedham covenant". The Dedham Covenant was a very important inspiration to the writing of the Declaration of Independence. During the first year of the Dedham settlement, Abraham proposed the erection of a water mill for the purpose of grinding corn and the town granted him about 70 acres of land and granted permission to build a corn mill unfortunately he died in 1638 before he could finish the mill.
The pride that my Family feels has been put to the test as of late, why you ask? Because of all the lies that have been told by our Government! These leaders have let down my Kids, let alone all of us. We trust them to help make our country better not worse! Aren't we suppose to keep them accountable, they are our pubic servants, we put them in office. Our local public servants steal money from us tax payers, they raise our taxes and tell us we have to work harder because they have to cut more jobs just so they can make their budget. How come I can balance my budget but thy can't! Really.....are you serious? I try not to watch T.V. news anymore because it just makes me really mad, you know madder than a wet hen?
Abraham Shaw had to earn his rights as a freeman by working to establish the Massachusetts colony. In 1632 the residents of Watertown protested against being compelled to pay a tax for the erection of a stockade fort at Cambridge; this was the first protest in America against taxation without representation and led to the establishment of representative government in the colony. I have a whole new understanding of the history of our nation. It's no longer just something I read in a book, now it's a part of my heart because America runs in my veins! God bless my America and yours!
Surf you later
Lili

3 comments:

  1. The funny thing is that I come from royal lines in Scotland and royal (so to speak) American lines, hard workers and law abiding citizens.
    You come from Robert Burns, a drunken crazy Scotsman that had a flair for the written word and Haggis! Are we a pair or what? I love you and our history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good Mummy, you make me proud to be an American! I think it's funny that we have such pride for your side of the family, and then on Fadda's side we have a Drunken-Crazy-Scotsman who is now famous for his Drunken-Crazy-Scottish rants that are now called poems! I find it amazing, truly, to find out about our heritage, that we're not just average people but that we come from men who were great at what they did, and that their greatness has carried on inside us all!
    Thanks to you Mum and Fadda, for both enlightening us in the many amazing things our blood has done in making our past what it is now. Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I find appealing about your story, considering all the stories, about illegal aliens, and all the so called Mexican Americans, that wave the Mexican flag and and curse our country. You and your Grandparents gave up their old country,as did mine and others we know they always honor the old ways, and culture, but they accept America as there new Country, and defend it to the Death. GOD BLESS AMERICA

    ReplyDelete